Thursday, January 27, 2005

Oscar Nominations

Word to Catherine, I am totally mystified by the heaping of praise upon Sideways. Yes, I saw it & thought it was okay. However, I still wish I'd spent the $8.00 on Finding Neverland that day instead.

Yes yes, as Ebert & Roeper said, Sideways harkens back to a time when scriptwriting was an art, blah blah blah. When exactly was this golden time boys? Cause I'll tell you, as someone who watches a lot of TCM, the history of the movies is steadily populated with some real stinkers.

And on this subject, if Sideways is getting such attention b/c of its careful attention to story/character developement/blah de blah blah, what's the deal with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind not receiving more nominations? Can you name a movie this year that was more original? That had a more carefully crafted script? That was equal parts entertainment and intellectual challenge? That made you think and feel and consider?

For that matter, where the Hell is Garden State?

Man I hate the Oscars. Even more, I hate that I know I'll watch them. Stupid TV.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home