Monday, January 24, 2005

89.3 The Current

Or as I like to refer to it, The First Reason I've Had to Listen to Radio in Lo These Past Nearly Eight Years and not even the shadow of unemployment can darken this day in the Gelato household.

If I remember correctly, my beloved Rev105 was cruelly torn from the airwaves back in the spring of 1997. Since then I've listened to nary a song on the radio, save for the occasional spin on the oldies station while housecleaning (that came to an end when I realized that they regularly aired anti-choice commercials). So excepting This American Life and The Splendid Table, my radios have been silent for a goodly long time.

And now - now my membership to MPR is paying off in spades. Behold the glory that is 89.3, The Current .

Seriously. Mary Lucia, Mark Wheat, Thorn ?!!! I could barely contain my excitement at 9:00am this morning when the station came on the air and I heard the dulcet tones of Thorn. Thorn! How I've missed your voice. And oh my god. This station is really happening.

And the playlist? So incredibly good! So far this morning: Atmosphere, Owls, Olympic Hopefuls, Jayhawks, Radiohead, Bob Dylan, Pixies, PJ Harvey, Beatles, Death Cab for Cutie, Benny Goodman (yes! for real), Morphine, and - I just can't even think - my brain is so filled with joy.

And it's Public Radio. That means no commercials. So Get Your Contribution On or just listen (89.3 if you're in the Twin Cities) and tell everyone you know.

Lord knows I never thought I'd hear this level of radio goodness again in my lifetime. Take that Clear Channel!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home